On 12th September, 2018, the West African Tax Administration Forum (WATAF) held her inaugural meeting in Abuja, Nigeria. The Forum was then known as the “Forum of Heads of Tax Administration in West Africa (FHTAWA)”. The objectives for setting up the Forum were:
- To encourage strong collaboration and sharing of information amongst all ECOWAS member states towards improving the quality of tax administration in West Africa;
- To ensure that all ECOWAS member States speak with one cohesive voice on tax policy and administration matters in all international tax organization;
- To work towards ensuring that the needs and experiences of the ECOWAS region are reflected in decisions taken by tax administration bodies at International and Multilateral levels;
- To work with ECOWAS to have a structure dedicated to taxation under the auspices of the ECOWAS Secretariat; and
- To encourage all ECOWAS members to be members of the African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF).
The first meeting was attended by five (5) member countries. They were:
- Nigeria; and
- The Gambia
- expansion or growth activities that took place, when each member joined,
At the 2nd General Assembly (GA) held in Monrovia, Liberia, on 12 December 2011, the meeting approved the change of name and acronym from Forum of Heads of Tax Administration in West Africa (FHTAWA) to West Africa Tax Administration Forum (WATAF).
Sierra Leone became a member of the Forum at the 3rd GA held Senegambia, The Gambia, on 12 March, 2012.
Five additional countries joined the Forum during the 4th GA hosted by ECOWAS at the ECOWAS Commission, in Abuja, Nigeria, on 25-26 June, 2012. They were:
- Burkina Faso;
- Cote d’Ivoire;
- Guinea Bissau;
- Niger; and
- Mali .
These became the 12th out of the 15 countries of the region that joined WATAF during the 6th GA held in Cotonou, Benin, on 13 – 14 March, 2013. Guinea and Senegal became WATAF members at the 7th GA held in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, on 12 -13 September. 2013.
Cabo Verde became the 15th country that joined. This was during the 11th GA held in Dakar, Senegal, on September 2016.
The future of WATAF is best described in our vision and mission statements.